The safety of University students, faculty, staff, and the public is a central concern of this University. The policy which governs the use of motor vehicles used on official University of Nebraska business by students, faculty and staff is designed to support safe, prudent use of vehicles.
University Fleet Management Policies
The following individuals may qualify as authorized vehicle operators –see authorized driver requirements below.
- Members of the Board of Regents
- Employees (faculty and staff) and emeriti faculty of the University of Nebraska
- University of Nebraska students not included in the list above who are University of Nebraska students traveling on official University business as designated by the Chancellor’s Office, campus/college Dean or Director.
Authorized Driver policy and requirements
The following individuals qualify as authorized passengers in university owned vehicles.
- Employees and emeriti staff members of the University of Nebraska.
- Members of the Board of Regents.
- Members of an official university committee approved by the chancellor’s office to travel on university business.
- Individuals on special assignment who have received approval from a dean/director or higher
- Transport of other officers, employees or guests of the University when they are on official University of Nebraska business. Including special use programs sponsored by the University of Nebraska –safe ride, after hours transport, Police transport, etc.
- University of Nebraska students traveling on official University business
- Student trip insurance is required for all students traveling in university vehicles.
- When university students will be traveling in University of Nebraska vehicles, applicable forms must be completed according to individual campus policies. Contact your campus risk management office for additional information.
Large Passenger Vans
University policy for use of passenger vans/buses, passenger vans and passenger buses with a seating capacity of 10 or greater can be found here. Use or purchase of extended wheelbase or extended length 15 passenger vans is not permitted.