University travelers are expected to select reasonably priced airline tickets and lodging accommodations when on official business and will be requested to justify charges that appear to be excessive.
Lodging and Transportation
Airports in Nebraska
Driver and Motor Vehicle Policies
The safety of University students, faculty, staff, and the public is a central concern of this University. The policy which governs the use of motor vehicles used on official University of Nebraska business by students, faculty and staff is designed to support safe, prudent use of vehicles.
The following individuals may qualify as authorized vehicle operators –see authorized driver requirements below.
- Members of the Board of Regents
- Employees (faculty and staff) and emeriti faculty of the University of Nebraska
- University of Nebraska students not included in the list above who are University of Nebraska students traveling on official University business as designated by the Chancellor’s Office, campus/college Dean or Director.
The following individuals qualify as authorized passengers in university owned vehicles.
- Employees and emeriti staff members of the University of Nebraska.
- Members of the Board of Regents.
- Members of an official university committee approved by the chancellor’s office to travel on university business.
- Individuals on special assignment who have received approval from a dean/director or higher
- Transport of other officers, employees or guests of the University when they are on official University of Nebraska business. Including special use programs sponsored by the University of Nebraska –safe ride, after hours transport, Police transport, etc.
- University of Nebraska students traveling on official University business
- Student trip insurance is required for all students traveling in university vehicles.
- When university students will be traveling in University of Nebraska vehicles, applicable forms must be completed according to individual campus policies. Contact your campus risk management office for additional information.
Large Passenger Vans
University policy for use of passenger vans/buses, passenger vans and passenger buses with a seating capacity of 10 or greater can be found here. Use or purchase of extended wheelbase or extended length 15 passenger vans is not permitted.
Enterprise Rent-A-Car provides the rental of cars, minivans or trucks. Arrangements can be made with any Enterprise location or online*, but the preferred method is through the Concur booking tool.
- Contact campus travel training and support for additional policies and procedures that may be required.
- Enterprise car rental program summary for the University of Nebraska
- Enterprise online booking instructions
*Provide the university corporate account number to ensure payment with the university credit card when booking direct.
Hotels.com Reservation System
When using the Hotels.com service for university business travel, the room rate and applicable taxes will be charged to the UN Preferred Credit Card account and paid by the university. Travelers need to sign up prior to using this reservation system.
University travelers are expected to select reasonably priced lodging accommodations when on official business and will be requested to justify charges that appear to be excessive.
Lodging can be booked through the Concur booking tool using the university paid credit card or other booking sources. Note: if using a personal credit card, the traveler will not be reimbursed until after the travel has occurred.
Conferma Pay App
Use the Conferma Pay app when checking into lodging reserved via the Concur booking tool. The app provides the company-paid credit card number to assist in uninterrupted check-in and confirmed payment.
Automobile or motorcycle mileage rate effective September 1, 2017 is $ 0.25/mile.
Personal Vehicle Mileage
A traveler will be reimbursed for use of a personal vehicle (including vans, pickups, panel trucks and motorcycles) while on University business (excluding Commuting miles) at the standard mileage rate established by the University of Nebraska for the actual miles driven on University business.
Fuel receipts will not be accepted for personal vehicle travel reimbursement. Documentation of the traveler’s direct route will need to be submitted through Concur. All additional business mileage that is in excess of the direct route of travel must be submitted with a detailed mileage log. It is preferred this log is created using the Mileage Calculator function within the mileage expense type when creating an expense report.
Purchasing Airline Tickets
When air travel is considered to be the most economical means of travel, a traveler is expected to use commercial (not private) airlines, unless another method of travel is clearly shown to be more economical and meets the mutual, reasonable needs of the university and the traveler.
Tickets can be purchased through the Concur booking tool, Southwest Airlines Corporate Travel, or other travel booking sources.
Per the University of Nebraska Travel Policy:
Travelers wishing to purchase and make their own domestic air travel arrangements outside the University-contracted travel management company must submit proof of comparable, less expensive airfare (including all airfare-related fees, such as taxes, airport fees, ticket refundability, University-contracted travel management company fees, baggage fees, or other costs impacting the comparison) from a reputable travel booking site and notes the source of funding to be used for the booking.
These comparisons must be completed on the same day to ensure price accuracy. Other University-contracted booking agencies may be used by the traveler and do not require proof of comparable, less expensive airfare.
Southwest Airlines Corporate Travel
Instructions for using Southwest Airlines Corporate Travel can be found here.
Advantages of the program:
- A current Rapid Rewards number can be used, otherwise one will be issued at the time of self-registration.
- Airline tickets will be charged to the University Preferred Vendor credit card and will be billed to departments' Cost Object internally (this information is required to complete a website booking).
- When booking through Southwest Airlines Corporate Travel, it is not necessary to contact Travel & Transport and an airfare cost comparison is not required.
- Only the Southwest Airlines ticket price will be charged (no additional transaction fees charged from the university or Travel & Transport).
For questions regarding creating a Southwest Airlines account, contact Melody Stark , U-wide Travel Office at 402-554-3456 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Voyager Fuel Card
Every University Fleet management vehicle is assigned a specific Voyager fuel credit card. The card is unique to each vehicle and must remain with the assigned vehicle. The credit card may be used only for purchases for the vehicle to which the card is assigned.
Note: if for some reason the Voyager Card does not work, use a personal credit card/cash and seek reimbursement with a comment indicating there was an issue with the Voyager Card.
For additional information, contact campus Fleet Management.