The Office of External Relations at the University of Nebraska oversees strategic communication and marketing, events, and state and federal government relations for the University system—promoting positive relations and outcomes between the University of Nebraska and its many constituents. Each functional area focuses on the following:
- Securing funding and legislation that enables NU to provide research, teaching and service
- Working with both state and federal elected officials and agencies in providing information and research findings that assist their policy work
- Advocating issues of importance to the University, and coordinating legislative priorities for NU
- Monitoring federal and state legislation that impacts higher education
- Support the Midwestern Higher Education Compact (MHEC), created to improve efficiency in the administration of higher education institutions and to increase access to and affordability in higher education.
- Represent the University of Nebraska in national professional organizations, including the Association of Public and Land-Grant Universities and the American Council on Education (ACE).
- Creating and executing University-wide communication, marketing and public relations strategies
- Overseeing University-wide work around branding and reputation, digital, social media, market research and public relations
- Handling all media relations, as well as managing open records and other communication-related inquiries
- Issues and crisis management
- Planning and managing all events hosted by the President and NU System leadership