COVID-19 UPDATE: NU is open. Faculty/staff are working in-person and campuses are open for in-person learning this fall.MORE INFO
Executive Memorandum No. 13
Delegation of Administrative Authority to Approve Certain Personnel Actions
Pursuant to Sections 2.1 and 3.2 of the Bylaws of the Board of Regents of the University of Nebraska, the President hereby delegates the following authority to each Chancellor with respect to personnel under his or her jurisdiction, effective as of December 15, 2015:
- Authority to make appointments to the positions of Vice Chancellor and Dean, subject to approval by the President and the Board of Regents.
- Authority to increase the salary, renew, extend, or amend the terms and conditions of an appointment of Vice Chancellor or Dean, subject to approval by the President.
- Authority to make appointments to the following positions, subject to approval by the President:
- Appointments, and any renewal, extension or amendment of an appointment, for Directors of Intercollegiate Athletics;
- Special Appointments (as defined in Regents Bylaw 4.4.1), or any renewal, extension or amendment of a Special Appointment, with a total aggregate annual University compensation package, excluding standard benefits such as leave, retirement and health insurance that are generally provided to all University employees, that exceeds $500,000; or
- Special Appointments, or any subsequent extension or renewal of such appointments, when the terms of the contractual obligation to the employee, whether the terms are set forth in a separate written contract, letter of appointment or otherwise, bind the University to pay the appointee for his or her job performance over a period of time exceeding four years.
- Authority to terminate appointments, subject to the approval of the President, when such termination shall result in a contractual obligation (e.g. liquidated damages) by the University in excess of $500,000.
- Except as otherwise provided herein, authority to make appointments and terminate such appointments to all other positions in the Professional Staff (as defined in Regents Bylaw 3 .1.1 ), except appointments to graduate faculty status.
The authority herein delegated shall be exercised in strict compliance with the requirements of the Bylaws of the Board of Regents and University and campus personnel policies and regulations governing personnel actions for members of the Professional Staff. Personnel actions approved pursuant to the authority herein delegated shall be implemented so as to take effect on or after the date the personnel action is approved. Retroactive appointments and salary increases are prohibited unless expressly approved by the President.
Each Chancellor may further delegate all or any portion of the authority described above to the appropriate Vice Chancellor or Vice Chancellors; provided, that each such further delegation of authority to approve personnel actions shall be documented in writing, signed by the Chancellor and filed of record with the Corporation Secretary before the same shall be effective.
Not later than fifteen days after the end of every calendar quarter, each Chancellor shall submit to the Executive Vice President and Provost a written report for the preceding calendar quarter reflecting all academic-administrative staff personnel actions for administrative positions and for faculty positions at the rank of assistant professor or above, including type and length of appointments approved and new salary obligations or changes in salary obligations approved.
Dated this 15th day of December, 2015.
December 12, 1994
December 19, 2002
November 20, 2015
December 15, 2015