UNO chancellor position profile released seeks a leader for higher education in the state
University of Nebraska President Hank Bounds has released a position profile for the chancellorship of the University of Nebraska at Omaha that details the qualities being sought in UNO’s next leader and the opportunities she or he will have in leading the state’s metropolitan university.
The position profile, available here, was developed by the 15-member chancellor search advisory committee that represents key UNO stakeholder groups, with assistance from the national firm Parker Executive Search and final input and approval by Bounds. It was informed by significant public input, including feedback shared at a series of November listening sessions on campus that drew hundreds of UNO faculty, staff, students and community members.
Bounds thanked the many Nebraskans who have participated in the search process this far.
“The next chancellor of the University of Nebraska at Omaha will have the opportunity to lead a campus with great momentum, where students come first and engagement with the community is a founding value,” Bounds said. “First and foremost, UNO’s next leader must have a deep understanding of the unique role and mission of Nebraska’s metropolitan university. She or he must be committed to our values of academic achievement, diversity and inclusion. And, the next chancellor must have the ability to chart an exciting course forward for UNO, in which we support the success of our students, faculty and staff and continue to build UNO’s reputation in the state and beyond.”
Bounds said the next UNO chancellor must hold an earned terminal degree and possess evidence of scholarly, professional or creative achievement commensurate with tenure as a full professor at a doctoral university. Other key qualifications include:
- High character and integrity.
- An ability to be an inspirational, entrepreneurial and pro-active leader.
- Demonstrated experience fostering interdisciplinary approaches to world-class education and research.
- A proven transparent and collaborative leadership style with significant administrative experience and sound fiscal acumen in a complex organization.
- Commitment to academic values involving students and faculty, learning and research, and collaborative shared governance.
- A passion for preparing students for productive and successful lives.
- A passion for advocating for the arts.
- A track-record of fundraising and donor cultivation.
- Strong communication skills and a capacity to interact with a wide variety of vital university and community constituents.
- Demonstrated knowledge and evidence of a history of commitment to diversity, inclusion and multicultural education.
- An understanding of the importance of the university’s role in Nebraska’s economic development and the ability to align UNO’s assets to address those needs.
- An ability to be a powerful proponent of UNO and the region through deep community engagement.
- An ability to develop a cooperative and mutually beneficial relationship with the chancellors within the University of Nebraska system.
- An understanding of and an appreciation for the role of athletics in a university setting.
- Capacity to promote international outreach and programs to further the development of students, faculty, staff, and build the reputation of UNO.
The UNO chancellor is the campus’ chief executive officer, reporting to the NU president and responsible for all aspects of campus administration. UNO, a premier metropolitan university serving more than 15,000 diverse students – many of whom are the first in their families to attend college – has a strategic plan built around student success, academic excellence and community engagement. It has been part of the University of Nebraska system since 1968.
The next chancellor will succeed John Christensen, who has announced his plans to step down after a decade of leadership. Applications, nominations and inquiries may be submitted to the search firm, ideally by March 13, 2017:
Laurie C. Wilder, President
Porsha L. Williams, Vice President
Parker Executive Search
Five Concourse Parkway, Suite 2900
Atlanta, Georgia 30328
(770) 804-1996 ext. 109
email@example.com | firstname.lastname@example.org
Detailed information about the UNO chancellor search is available here.
Director of Communications University of Nebraska