Community College Students – Stay On Course to a Bachelor's Degree!
"I'd like to get my bachelor's degree, but I didn't take the right classes in high school to get into the university."

"Can I go beyond community college if I dropped out of high school?"

"I know my job prospects would be better with a bachelor's degree. I'm just not sure what to do next."

"Will I qualify for financial aid if I go to the university?"
Nebraska Community College students who want to continue their education can take advantage of a new University of Nebraska program, "On Course," to gain guaranteed admission to the university upon completion of their associate's degree. Even if you did not complete high school or earn a GED, a bachelor's degree, advanced degree or professional school is well within your reach—with On Course. Talk to your advisor today about getting on the right path.

Your education doesn't have to end with community college. Join the University of Nebraska's On Course program and you will be assured of admission to any NU undergraduate campus—UNL, UNO or UNK—when you complete the program requirements at your community college. Your advisor will help you choose the right classes and work with you to ensure your credits transfer toward a bachelor's degree at the University of Nebraska.

On Course guarantees admission to these University of Nebraska campuses if you prepare by completing required coursework at your community college which, combined with your high school courses, will provide a foundation for success at the university. Your community college is well equipped to prepare you for university-level studies. You can take full advantage of this capability by following the On Course pathway.

On Course Checklist

  • Sign up with your community college advisor to be an On Course student.
  • Stay on course by taking all required classes and maintaining satisfactory academic progress.
  • Apply online at the campus you wish to attend.
  • Pay application fee
  • Provide transcripts from all educational institutions attended, including high school
  • Check admission requirements for the specific degree program you wish to enter; some may have a higher GPA or additional course requirements. Admission to the University of Nebraska does not assure you of admission to a specific degree program.


To qualify for assured admission to the University of Nebraska, you must have:
  • An Associate of Arts or Associate of Science degree from a Nebraska community college, or a high school diploma or GED.
  • 16 academic units, either in high school or community college, as listed under "Academic Requirements".
  • Additional coursework that meets the university's general education requirements.
  • A grade of C or higher in all courses taken to fulfill On Course requirements.

Academic Requirements

Both high school and community college courses can count toward your admission requirements. On Course students must complete the academic "units" listed below. A unit is one year of college-preparatory high school education or one community college course.

English: Four units. All courses must include intensive reading and writing.

Mathematics: Three units (four if you plan to attend UNL, including geometry and either pre-calculus or calculus). The three units must include Algebra I and II, and geometry or an equivalent math course. Natural Sciences: Three units, including biology, chemistry, physics or earth sciences, with at least one course being laboratory-based.

Social Studies: Three units, including at least one unit of American or world history and one additional unit of history, American government or geography.

Foreign Language: Two units of the same foreign language at elementary or higher levels.

Students who begin their studies at the University of Nebraska take certain general education courses in their first two years. On Course students are also expected to take courses that develop intellectual and practical skills, including communication, inquiry, critical thinking and creativity. Courses that provide this type of general education include:

Speech: Courses that include demonstration of the ability to speak formally to an audience.

Literature: Courses that include literary classics, English literature, American literature, western civilization or world civilizations.

Aesthetics: Courses in art, art appreciation, music, dance, theater or other forms of artistic expression.

Citizenship: Courses in ethical principles, civics or stewardship that help build understanding of the importance of civic responsibility. These are examples of general education courses. Your advisor can help ensure that you are taking the right courses to meet admission requirements for the campus of your choice.

Financial Aid

Financial assistance is available to qualifying On Course students through Collegebound Nebraska, the University of Nebraska's tuition assistance program, as well as other need-based and merit-based scholarships. Collegebound Nebraska can help make sure your educational costs do not increase substantially when you move from community college to the university.

If you are Pell Grant-eligible, Collegebound Nebraska guarantees that you will pay no tuition at UNL, UNO or UNK. Even if you are not Pell Grant-eligible, you may receive Collegebound Nebraska support based on information you provide by filling out the FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid). As a general rule, students from a family of four with one student in college and a family income of $50,000 or less will qualify for free tuition.

Collegebound Nebraska provides full tuition assistance for up to five years to full-time undergraduate students who are Nebraska residents. See your community college advisor for assistance in filling out the FAFSA form. You must apply by April 1 of the year in which you plan to attend the university.

On Course Brochure

University of Nebraska
3835 Holdrege Street, Lincoln, Nebraska 68583 | 402.472.2111 | Comments?
©2019 University of Nebraska Board of Regents