The Office of Diversity, Access and Inclusion provides leadership in the shared development of policies, programs, and procedures that integrate diversity, access and inclusion into the operations of the institution and advance inclusive excellence. It also supports NU’s efforts to ensure the mission delivery of teaching, research, outreach and engagement is accessible and includes a diverse array of beneficiaries.
The Office is a system-wide convener for collaborative efforts that improve the access, inclusion and retention of a diverse student, faculty and staff body for NU. It also assesses high-impact diversity and inclusion strategies and proven best practices for system-wide replication.
It utilizes Inclusive Excellence, a research-based approach for diversity and inclusion, for D&I policy development in addition to the framework’s accompanying definitions for diversity, inclusion, equity and equity-mindedness.
Specifically, the Associate to the President and Assistant Vice President for Diversity, Access and Inclusion:
- Provides system-level leadership for initiatives that advance diversity, access and inclusion and lead to equitable outcomes in NU’s identified priority areas: Campus Climate, Student Recruitment and Retention, Faculty and Staff Recruitment and Retention (P&T), and Supplier Diversity.
- Oversees the preparation and communication of periodic reports on the status of NU D&I priorities
- Monitors and communicates national trends and the development of laws, policies, and regulations affecting diversity and equity in higher education
- Identifies significant trends or patterns which may be systemic in nature
- Fosters collaborative relationships among the diversity officers and leaders that work in the D&I space
- Provides system-wide D&I development and learning opportunities