Board of Regents Meeting – Jan. 23, 2009
Following are highlights of the January meeting. A complete agenda is available at www.nebraska.edu/board.
- Speaker of the Legislature Sen. Mike Flood, NU Budget Director Chris Kabourek and NU Director of Governmental Relations Ron Withem will provide a legislative and budget update
- Nebraska Auditor of Public Accounts Mike Foley will report on the audited statements of the University
- Committee reports will include updates on:
- A new University-wide structure for distance education
- The University’s Collegebound Nebraska tuition assistance program
- Graduation rates
- Implementation of the new Student Information System
- University engagement with Nebraska high schools
- The Board will consider a resolution reconfirming its commitment to increasing the diversity of the University’s student body and workforce and its intent to comply with state and federal law, including the 2008 amendment to the Nebraska Constitution prohibiting discrimination or preference on the basis of race, gender or national origin.
- The Board agenda includes consideration of:
- A new Center for Humanities, Ethics and Society in the College of Public Health, UNMC, to provide expertise in these areas through new courses, training and expansion of collaborative scholarly projects.
- Two new undergraduate certificate programs, in legal studies and leadership, in the College of Agricultural Sciences and Natural Resources, UNL
- A resolution to allow bond financing for the Health Professions Futures Project, UNMC, which includes the College of Public Health building, addition to the College of Nursing and the Geriatrics Center building. These buildings are all being constructed through the use of private donations; bond proceeds would be used to cash-flow the projects.
- Program statement and budget for a new parking facility to be built at 19th and Vine Streets, UNL.
- Certification of the University’s second payment of $7 million toward the acquisition of State Fair Park.
- Selection of DLR Group, Inc., to provide design services for the University Life Complex,UNO