Board of Regents lists qualifications for new NU president
This is the list of qualifications/attributes approved by the Board; it will be sent on to the Presidential Advisory Search Committee for their use:
1. A person with vision and the proven ability to implement change.
2. A vision consistent with the mission of the University of Nebraska including commitment to the pursuit of excellence in teaching and research and a commitment to service for the people across the state of Nebraska.
3. Must be able to work closely with and have the respect and trust of the governor, state legislature, leaders throughout the state, the congressional delegation, the board, faculty, staff, and student body.
4. An individual who has had major leadership roles with bottom-line responsibility for outcomes and who has demonstrated the ability to lead people and organizations in achieving these outcomes.
5. A record of excellence in intellectual and academic performance, and significant experience with a university system, specifically at both the faculty and administration level or a record of excellence, significant leadership, and experience outside academia in business or public service.
6. Familiarity with the complexity of a major public research university is important.
7. Must have demonstrated the skills and characteristics necessary to implement the "Specific Responsibilities" enunciated in Executive Memorandum No. 3
8. Proven ability to enhance and diversify the institution’s funding base including, but not limited to, state, federal, philanthropic, business, industry, and private sector funds.
9. Willing to stay at University of Nebraska for at least five years, ideally up to 10 years.
10. Must have demonstrated great character, personal and moral values, and ethics.
**These are listed in no particular order of importance.
The board also voted to use a search firm to assist in the presidential search process. Responsibility for interviewing prospective search firms was assigned to the executive committee (Regents Blank, Schroeder and Ferlic), joined by Keith Olsen, co-chair of the search committee. Other members of the board will be invited to sit in on the interviews if they are available.
Contact: Joe Rowson, 402 472-7133