Travel Journal
Travel Journal
NCTA: Open access, high quality and Nebraska-focused
Click photo to enlarge

NCTA: Open access, high quality & Nebraska-focused

Curtis, NE | April 14, 2015

Welcome to Curtis, Neb...where you can drink a glass of the best-tasting rural water in the country and ride your horse anywhere as long as you stay off the golf course. I’d been looking forward to my visit to the Nebraska College of Technical Agriculture for quite some time, and the tour and luncheon with faculty, staff and students arranged by Dean Ron Rosati and his team didn’t disappoint.

On top of the world…
Click photo to enlarge

On top of the world…

North Platte | April 13-14, 2015

What a treat to end Day 2 of my Nebraska tour with dinner at the beautiful Golden Spike Tower, which offers a panoramic view of the world’s largest railyard. The scenery was stunning, the food was delicious, and the conversation with university stakeholders was rich and engaging. My thanks to those who participated, including the Chairman of the Board of Regents, Bob Phares, who hosted us in his hometown.

Continuing west
Click photo to enlarge
Photo credit KRVN

Continuing west

Lexington & Gothenburg | April 13, 2015

After leaving Kearney, we were back on the road, heading west toward North Platte. En route, we made a quick stop at KRVN radio in Lexington for a meet-and-greet with the news team and community leaders. I had a great time visiting with news director Dave Schroeder, checking out the station and meeting people who care about their university and its role in serving agriculture in particular. You can see more from my KRVN visit here.

Experiencing LifeAsALoper
Click photo to enlarge

Experiencing #LifeAsALoper

Kearney, NE | April 13, 2015

It’s a great time to be a Loper. That much was clear during my visit to the University of Nebraska at Kearney today, where faculty, staff, students and stakeholders gave me a very warm welcome. And I loved being greeted by the Archway on my drive into town! There’s a real sense of energy and momentum on the UNK campus, and for good reason. UNK is doing more than ever to serve the Kearney community and the region – meeting student needs, producing talented graduates, driving the economy and enriching the quality of life for Nebraskans.

Raising Nebraska, and Nebraskans
Click photo to enlarge

Raising Nebraska, and Nebraskans

Grand Island, NE | April 13, 2015

What a way to start Day 2 of my Nebraska tour. The Raising Nebraska site in Grand Island – a collaborative effort of the Institute of Agriculture and Natural Resources, Nebraska Department of Agriculture and the State Fair – was unlike anything I’ve seen. I hope every Nebraskan will take the opportunity to visit this facility to learn how food gets from the farm to our tables. The exhibits are interactive, fun and educational. I got to “walk” my 1,500-mile travel route on an interactive map…a less demanding experience than driving it! An engaged and impressive group of community leaders and university stakeholders joined me and our Regent host, Kent Schroeder, for breakfast at Raising Nebraska and we had a productive dialogue about the university’s momentum and opportunity.

A dialogue with Nebraskans
Click photo to enlarge

A dialogue with Nebraskans

Fremont & Columbus | April 12, 2015

After leaving Mead, we were back on the road to Fremont, where I was welcomed by a great crowd (and delicious treats from Alotta Brownies) at the beautiful Gallery 92 facility. I shared my thoughts on what attracted me to the NU presidency – starting with the deep connection the people of Nebraska have to this institution – and our responsibility to do even more to grow enrollment, help students graduate on time and with less debt, conduct research in relevant areas like water and agriculture, and continue the good work of Nebraska Extension in serving people across the state. I’m glad I came prepared with my pen and notepad, because our friends in Fremont gave me thoughtful ideas on how the university can be even more successful going forward.

Solving the ag challenges of tomorrow, with research today
Click photo to enlarge

Solving the ag challenges of tomorrow, with research today

Mead, NE | April 12, 2015

And we’re off! Today I began a six-day road trip across Nebraska that will help me get to know the state I now call home. Over the next week, I’ll visit roughly 20 Nebraska communities to talk to a diverse range of citizens about how we can work together to build an even stronger university. I have lots of ground to cover in the days ahead, but I’m energized by the opportunity to listen and learn from people who care deeply about the future of their university – faculty and students, agricultural and business leaders, donors and alumni, farmers and ranchers, and community members across this great state. Their passion for, and investment in, this university is inspiring.

University of Nebraska
3835 Holdrege Street, Lincoln, Nebraska 68583 | 402.472.2111 | Comments?
©2015 University of Nebraska Board of Regents