The Presidential Search Screening and Selection Committee was established by the Board of Regents to review and evaluate application materials, select and interview leading prospects, conduct and/or review reference checks, and recommend to the Board of Regents no fewer than four candidates who agree to become public finalists for the position.
The 13 members of the committee include:
- Howard Hawks, Board of Regent, District 2, Omaha (Chair)
- Susie Buffett, Chairman, Sherwood Foundation, Omaha
- Jeffrey Gold, Chancellor, University of Nebraska Medical Center
- Brian Hastings, President and Chief Executive Officer, University of Nebraska Foundation, Lincoln
- Jordan Koch, Student Regent, University of Nebraska at Omaha, senior majoring in elementary education, Yankton, South Dakota
- Marjorie Kostelnik, Dean of the College of Education and Human Sciences, University of Nebraska-Lincoln
- Steve Nelson, President, Nebraska Farm Bureau, Axtell
- Krupa Savalia, Student Regent, University of Nebraska Medical Center, M.D./Ph.D. Scholars Program, West Orange, New Jersey
- Rob Schafer, Board of Regents, District 5, Beatrice
- Kent Schroeder, Board of Regents, District 6, Kearney
- Julie Shaffer, Professor of Biology, College of Natural and Social Sciences, University of Nebraska at Kearney
- Thomas Warren, President, Urban League, Omaha
- Bob Whitehouse, Board of Regents, District 4, Papillion
The Board also has established a separate Presidential Search Outreach and Advisory Committee to work with the consultants from Isaacson, Miller, the national search firm engaged by the Board, to solicit stakeholder input on issues facing the university and qualities the university should seek in the next president, conduct a broad and inclusive search, seek nominations and applications for the position, and determine how well potential candidates meet criteria established by the Board.
Final selection of the next president will be made by the Board of Regents following university visits and public forums by the finalists that will provide opportunities for Nebraska citizens and university constituents to meet the candidates and provide feedback to the Board.